Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Week 10 in Italy

It was a great week!! No more checking for lice, and there were thunder and lightening storms almost every day!!! So awesome!!! The thunder just rolls and cracks so loud. It's really cool. Reminds me of my summer in Rexburg..

At the beginning of the week we had lunch with one of our investigators. She is the sweetest lady! She and her husband and daughter are here from Nigeria for now looking for work. She made us something... We aren't sure what it was. But there were also fried plantaines. So yummy! The other dish consisted of chicken, beans, and various parts of a shrimps body, and the occasional bone, all put together with a very very very spicy sauce. My nose was running and my mouth and throat were burning. But we did it! We ate it and we're pretty sure we looked almost normal while doing it. It was so sweet of her to cook for us and after the meal, her husband looked at all of us and said, "Well this has just been a delight! I didn't know we'd have such a good family meal today" and Sorella Gunnerson and I just about died. It was so sweet.

We also did some finding work at the Olympic stadium this week. It's huge! We walked around the park and area that surround the ginormous stadium. It was pouring rain, but we had a great time!

We also had a scambio this week. We took the train down to Genova again and I was supposed to come back up to torino with one of the sister training leaders. Instead, there were no trains going back so we all stayed in Genova on Monday night. Then Sorella Ball and I trained back up to Torino early on Tuesday morning so that we would make it to our appointments on time. It's about a two hour train ride. But it is just gorgeous. 

It was scary being in charge of the area... I didn't think I could do it! But I did! We made it to our appointments on time and I got us around alright. I'm grateful for the power of prayer and knowing that I don't ever have to do anything truly alone. 

Sorella Ball also gave me a haircut which was much needed. It was great! Towards the end she said... "Disclaimer on this haircut. it's really fast so don't blame me if it's bad". Well, thank heavens for curly hair! You can't really tell when a hair cut is bad anyway. So oh well! I just won't straighten it for a little bit. hahah.

Anyway. We are just teaching away. I love our investigators and our less active members. The woman that I talked about last week who said she couldn't study with us anymore came to our english class and said that she wanted us to pray for her and pray for her boyfriend (who isn't actually a Jehova's witness, he's just stydying with him... we got our information wrong), and she asked us to continue to bring her pamphlets and things that she can study. So we will!

We also are continuing to teach Hui and she will be baptized on May 9th! We are so excited for her!! It has been incredible to watch her progress from the first lesson to where she is now. She has had a testimony from the very beginning, and she just continues to grow in the gospel and feels more and more happiness each time she meets with us. I love her! She is seriously so awesome. 

The gospel is true! Heavenly Father loves and knows each of His children. I love being a missionary. There are moments when I don't like it. But I am eternally grateful to be here and for the things that I am learning. 
Happiness is easy to find. Living the gospel is simple. It isn't always easy to change ourselves and to align our will with God's. But it is oh so simple. The restored gospel of Jesus Christ brings bliss, happiness, and peace. It brings blessings and so much strength. I am grateful for my elder brother Jesus Christ that walks with me daily here in Italy. He has been my source of strength and my light in the darkness. I would be nothing without Him and His atonement. 

Thank you all for the continued support and love! It means so much to get weekly emails from friends and family! I need and love the messages. 

Be good! 

Love, 
Sorella Tokarski

ps the story that Elder Holland told in conference about the sister missionary who got potatoes thrown at her and her companion, that was about Sorella McCann. She's one of my stl's. She's the greatest. She's his grandaughter. She does the best Miranda impressions. (she's in the salmon colored shirt, and sorella ball is in the white shirt)  (kelly and gretchen you guys do it better though...) 

pictures are of the train ride to genova, our scambio (scambio means exchange) picture, traditional scambio gelato, and lunch today. I love Italy.