Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Week 33 in Italy

Well, we had a lovely general conference weekend! We got to watch most of the sessions. The spirit I felt as I watched the prophets and apostles and leaders of the church speak to us, was so strong! I personally received several answers to questions that I had, and it was incredible to watch as others received their answers as well. We invited several people to come with questions prepared. One of our less active members came with a couple of specific questions. As we watched the women's conference together, her eyes filled with tears and she began to sob. She had almost immediately received two of the answers that she had been searching for. God truly does speak to us through his called and assigned servants. He loves His children and He will not leave us without a guide and a help. 

We had interviews with president and we had zone training. We lost a lot of time in our city this past week being on trains back and forth to Genova two different days. But it was great! We talked a lot about continuing to work well together in our cities and the importance and significance of our own personal proselyting areas. 

We also had the huge miracle of setting two baptismal dates this past week. A woman named Marlene from Peru accepted the invitation to be baptized on the 5th of October, as well as Marina who accepted the date of November 8th. Both are truly seeking and striving to follow and obey God's commandments. They are willing to sacrifice and change their lives to live in harmony with the teachings of the Savior. They inspire me! 

Alessandro has picked a new date of the 24th of October. He read the scriptures for the first time by himself this past week. MIRACLE. He has a real desire to do what's right. It's not easy. But it is absolutely possible and absolutely worth it. 

Yesterday was my companion's birthday and we worked hard every single second of it. We had appointments every hour of the day and we even had to do a split during the afternoon because we had to much work to do. It was great! And we also ate like a week's worth of food. I made her a special birthday breakfast, and then we went to a member's house for lunch: gigantic bowl of pasta, another gigantic plate of vegetables and an egg type thing, and then bread, and cake and a bowl full of straight cream. We almost died. Then we went to get gelato with a new convert. And then we had family home evening with a less active family who cooked us santo domingan food: potatoes, some yummy fried thing, fried banana stuff, SO MUCH RICE, chicken, and insalata russa. So. Much. Food. We still aren't really even hungry today... hahah. It was great. 

We are continuing to work hard and we're really trying to let the Lord guide His work here. It is so important in our lives and especially on the mission, that we can learn how to get out of The Lord's way. He is so much smarter, so much more capable, and so much better than we will ever be. When we can just turn ourselves over to Him and let Him work through us and truly guide every footstep, amazing things will happen! 

There is a lot of work to do in Sanremo. I am getting nervous that my time here might be coming to an end. Of course, nothing is final or decided yet, but I know that it's not very common for missionaries to stay in the same city for more than 6 months. This transfer makes 6 months of serving here in Sanremo. There is a lot left to do here and I'm not sure if I'll ever feel like I've done enough. But I am truly grateful for all of the growth and experience that I have gained thus far. 

God loves us. He guides us. He takes care of us. As we seek to do His will and just get out of the way, we will see miracles and we will feel His power and presence in our lives. 

Today marks my official halfway point in the mission... It is unreal to me that the time is going by so fast. I had a dream this week that I finished my mission and I went home. I saw my mom, and I ran to her to hug her. I cried with happiness. But after a second, I stepped away and said, Wait a minute... This isn't right... I need to be back in Italy! I need to still be a missionary! I don't want to be home! 
It was the strangest sensation... To know that it was over, and that I couldn't go back, but longing so badly to return and be a missionary again. It taught me the important lesson of just enjoying every moment that I have here. The mission is truly an incredible and life changing experience. I wouldn't trade it for the world. I love it even when I hate it. It's the best thing that I have ever done. Prepare yourselves now for the various missions you will serve throughout your lives!!!!! Study Preach My Gospel. Follow the promptings of the spirit. Study the atonement. Do all that you can to share the gospel with those around you.

The restored gospel of Jesus Christ is true. It blesses families. It changes lives. I see it every single day. I love my Savior and I love my Heavenly Father. 

Make good choices! I love you all. 

Love, 

Sorella Tokarski