Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Week 20 in Italy

Wow. What a week. Happy birthday America! We had a great meal at a members house. They hung an american flag and everything! They're great. We took a 45 minute bus ride up into the hills to their house. It was gorgeous!! We had 5 meal appointments this week... That goes down in history!!! I love these people, but let me just say, I will be excited to be able to serve my own portions again some day. hahaha. When they feed us, we start out with a full plate of pasta. We're talking covering the whole plate and then some. LOTS of pasta. And then, there's a serving of meat and some sort of vegetable. Then there's a salad and some sort of bread. And then there's a fruit. And then there's a dessert. These people don't mess around with their meals... Needless to say, the skirts were fitting a bit tighter by the end of the week.

Well folks, I have been a full time missionary for 6 months now. It's hard for me to believe that a third of my mission is already over! I honestly can't imagine that day when I'll be a returned missionary. I refuse to say "the day my mission ends" because really, my mission will never end. It started the day I got baptized and there will never be an end. Sharing the gospel and being a missionary is something eternal.
 
I love my mission. I love being a missionary. It's such a special calling to be set apart LITERALLY for this short period of time. All faults and weaknesses are magnified, and strengths sometimes become new weaknesses. But during this time of being set apart, every moment of my day is focused on service, change, growth, learning, loving, following the spirit, and trying to be obedient. There is no better setting to change myself than in this safe and set apart missionary bubble. Away from several of the worldly temptations, the temptations become wanting to sleep in, not diligently studying, taking too long of a lunch break etc. It's so hard some days to find the motivation to just work. But I know that every single moment of this time does not belong to me. I am here to serve my brothers and sisters whom I LOVE. My salvation will partially be based off of how I use this time. When I remember those two things, it's a little bit easier to get up and go. I love these people here so much. I desire their eternal happiness. And when I flip my thoughts from my own selfish desires, I am again motivated to work. My heart aches when they don't keep commitments or choose to not progress. It aches not because I am sad for myself, but because I am so sad for Heavenly Father. I know He watches every one of His children. He desires their safe return. I have the sacred privilege of sharing that with them. I have the special authority of personally representing Jesus Christ and inviting others to make choices and steps that will lead them back home. Although full time missionaries have this special authority right now, it doesn't change the fact that our duty as members of the church will ALWAYS be to invite others to come unto Christ. I take comfort in knowing that my calling as a missionary is eternal and doesn't end when I am released.

Participating in the work of salvation is the single greatest and most meaningful thing I have ever done in my life. Please, don't wait until you have a tag to feel this joy and meaningful purpose in your lives. I promise you that your hearts will change, your desires, thoughts, and feelings will change. The gospel will be rooted more deeply rooted in your hearts. You will feel a greater appreciation for Heavenly Father and His children. You will feel a profound influence of the atonement and more gratitude for what Christ sacrificed for us. But more importantly, you will understand a little bit better how much He and Heavenly Father love every single one of us. You will feel the pure love of Christ work in your life, as the attribute of charity develops naturally through your service to God's children.

I have such a testimony of the importance of doing missionary work and the power that it has to change lives on both ends of the situation. I love this work and I plan to do it every single day for the rest of my life. 
I love you all. I have felt the power of your prayers this week. I have needed the extra strength and support, and it has been there. Thank you. 

Be good! 

Love, 

Sorella Tokarski