Thursday, May 29, 2014

Week 14 in Italy

Wow. What an incredible week! I'm adjusting to San Remo pretty quickly. Coming from huge Torino, to tiny San Remo was a nice change of pace. Most of our appointments are a twenty minute walk at most. Most of them are within about 5 minutes or so. This past week we had a lot of appointments cancel on us, but that allowed for a massive chunk of ricerca (finding) time. We had a goal of finding 7 new investigators last week, and we were able to find 8! Finding new investigators can be a big challenge, but the key we found with finding new investigators is just talking to absolutely everyone and anyone that we come in contact with. We prayed fervently all week to meet our goals and for the guidance of the spirit so that we could truly find those that are ready and open to hear the message of the restored gospel.  Many of our lessons were taught just on the street. In order for it to be considered a lesson, we have to share a principle, and say at least one prayer. At the beginning of the week, it was really weird for me to ask to say a prayer with someone on the street who we had just barely met and who most likely would say no.. But as we did it more and more, we were amazed by how many people were open to listening to a short spiritual message and saying a prayer with us. By the middle of the week, we decided that we didn't want to just teach a lot of one prayer lessons. So we started asking if we could start the spiritual thought with a prayer and finish with a prayer as well. (all of this was after the initial first moment of us going up to someone and asking if they believed in God or if they would like to hear a short message) I was really nervous at first. But as I thought more and more about who these people are that I come in contact with every day, I started to feel less and less scared. 

The overwhelming feeling that I had this week was that we really are all brothers and sisters. We really all did live together before this life. When we stop someone on the street and ask if we can share a message with them, it's not just to get a lesson or a number, or just because it's our job as missionaries. We are literally stopping our brothers and sisters. As I thought about that more and more, the prospect of just being bold and speaking to everyone became less scary. Sure it's still

a little nerve wracking to put  yourself out there. But I am truly finding and feeling such a deep love for these people here in Italy and here in San Remo that I want to stop them and talk to them. I want to share my testimony with them and pray with them and for them right there on the street so that they can feel God's love.

We talked to A LOT of people this week, and I was overwhelmed by how many people would look me in
the eye and say, Non c'e un Dio. Se c'e un Dio, perchè ci sono tanti personne che soffrono?! Perchè c'e le personne malvagi?! (There is no God. If there is a God, why are there so many people that suffer? Why are there so many evil people?) In that moment, I just want to wrap my arms around them. What I wish that we could explain in those few seconds before they turn on their heels and walk away is that we live in an imperfect world full of imperfect people. We have been given the incredible ability and gift of free agency! We can choose! We can act for ourselves. But along with that gift comes consequences. Sometimes we suffer consequences because of our own actions. Sometimes we suffer because of someone else's actions. But God doesn't inflict the world with wickedness and evil things. He cries and weeps for His children that suffer. He wants so badly for us to be happy. For that exact purpose, He sent Christ to the earth. He knew that there would be wicked people. He knew that there would be suffering. Christ atoned for the world. He took upon himself every pain, sorrow, and all suffering that this world has ever known so that we can find peace through the pain. We can find light in the moments of darkness. We can find console and someone who knows perfectly what we feel when we suffer because of others. God has not abandoned us, nor will He ever abandon us. We have a loving and perfect God who sent a loving and perfect son to suffer, atone, die, and then be resurrected for every single one of us. Where is God? Why do people suffer? Why is there evil? God is here. People have always suffered and will always suffer, but never more than what Christ did, and because God loves us, we have a Savior to turn to for comfort. Evil exists because the world is not perfect. But God loves us. He can't take back His promise and gift to us of free agency. But we are not alone.

I just wish that every person in the world could understand what I am just now realizing. I am so grateful for this mission. I am learning and realizing things that I could never understand before. I am meeting so many incredible and wonderful people. 

The beautiful thing about this experience is that I get the blessing and curse of feeling a tiny particle of what Heavenly Father feels for His children. We had an incredible lesson with a wonderful young woman who is working towards being baptized on June 1st. She was so joyful, and so happy, and I can't describe the happiness that I felt during that lesson. An hour later, we had a lesson with a woman who said that she doesn't want to meet with us anymore, and will never come back to the church because she was offended several years ago and refuses to come back. Unfortunately, I lost it and just sobbed right in front of her. I just felt in my heart and soul this ache for her.
In these moments, I am reassured that God loves us more than we can possible comprehend. He hurts and cries when we do. He smiles and jumps for joy when we do. 

Anyway. I'm grateful for the gospel and the peace and light it brings into my life. 

Shout out to the fam:
Dad, you're such an incredible spiritual rock. You are so strong and so smart and I hope to someday have the same strength as you.

Mom, you have such a huge heart and you love so much! I am grateful for your example of continuing to serve those around you especially within the family.

Q, you have so many incredible talents and abilities. You have been so blessed and I know that your potential in this world is endless. 

Nick, your ability to do what's right and overcome obstacles is amazing. You are wise beyond your years and you know right from wrong. 

Kelly, you have such a bright, beautiful light about you and you are such a wonderful example of love and kindness to everyone that knows you. 

I love you all so much, and I am so grateful for the continued support and prayers. 

Be good. 

Love, 

Sorella Tokarski
____________________________

From Sonja's Dad - - I have posted a video of Sonja sharing her testimony in Italian during our Skype with her on Mother's Day. Click the link and enjoy.