Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Week 26 in Italy

This past week, I've reflected a lot about weaknesses. We all have them. We all struggle with something or another. Why are weaknesses a necessary part of life?

If we don't have weakness, we don't need to change or learn anything, and this life on earth becomes pointless. We have to have weaknesses so that we can fulfill our purpose here on earth; to have a deep and meaningful relationship with God our Heavenly Father and His son Jesus Christ our Savior, to learn, to grow, and to become more like Christ.

It's very true that some weeks in the field are harder than others. This week was a particularly heavy week. But there wasn't a single moment that Christ wasn't by my side helping me to carry the load that I couldn't bear. We attended two funerals this week, one for Carla, whom I have come to love dearly, and the other for the wife of a member in our branch. We also faced some other adversity throughout the week, and by today we are exhausted. But, I am so grateful for the things that I am learning and being faced with. It allows me to more fully rely on The Savior and apply His atonement in my life.

I'm currently reading in Alma. There are the Alma chapter 18 and 19 moments. We find people that God has prepared, and they accept the gospel! But other times it feels more like Alma chapter 21 verses 1-13. Obviously I am not in NEARLY as bad of conditions. Per niente. Meno male.

No matter what kind of week it is, I am always learning something new or learning something for the millionth time. I am grateful for Heavenly Father's patience with me.

On a brighter note, a wonderful couple from Napoli showed up in church sunday during the third hour. They're here for vacation  (meaning they've been here for like a month at least and will be here for another couple of weeks), and they asked us how much we would charge them for a bible. We told them that we wouldn't charge them anything and President Bignami handed over his bible in that very moment. It was awesome. We all gathered together in his office for a moment to explain the restoration and the Book Of Mormon. They have an evangelist background and have a lot of faith. They said "amen" after every sentence we said. It made it really easy to know what they agreed with and what they weren't so sure about! They were really interested in hearing more and set another appointment with us for the next night. Unfortunately, they came a little bit too late. So we set another appointment for the next night. We went to their home and taught them, their daughter, her fiance, and a few other friends that were over. The spirit was so strong and I know they felt it too! The fiance was really riled up and was spitting lots of questions at us. But God really does give us the words that we need in the moments that we need them. I was really grateful for the Heavenly help that we received.

I am exhausted. My feet are swollen, my knees are callussed, I'm starting to get wrinkles. But mama mia I wouldn't have it any other way. I love being a missionary and I am so grateful for this beautiful opportunity to grow and become purified through the atonement of Christ.

Enjoy your week. Keep Christ at the center. Read the scriptures! Accept your weaknesses and allow the Savior to turn them into strengths. 

I love you all.