Saturday, March 29, 2014

Week 5 in Italy

Well, it's been another strange week. The pain in my back has gotten worse, and there's rarely a moment throughout the day when I'm not hurting. The worst part is that it's apparently starting to become noticeable in lessons, so I'm really working on my happy-sister-missionary-i-don't-have-any-problems-ever face/attitude and hopefully it'll be less noticeable this next week.

Torino is called torino because it means little bull. So all over torino there are these bulls with water coming out of them... so we got a little crazy and decided to drink from them! we think it's safe!?
We basically just taught lessons this week. Our power went out on Thursday. Apparently you can't run your oven and washing machine at the same time! oops!

We did a scambio (exchange) on friday. I went down to a city called Genova for a day with one of our sister training leaders. She goes home in about 2 weeks. Sorella Lyman. She is a great missionary! We had a good time together. We only taught two lessons because the night we got there, the power went out (this happens a lot here) (you have to be really careful about how many things you run at one time), and the toilet broke. So we had a lot to deal with and figure out. But the train ride to Genova was GORGEOUS! Rolling hills, Italian architecture, so many colors, and ahhh. It was just so beautiful. Genova is famous for it's foccacia and also for it's pesto. We got foccacia...Twice. It was SO good.

The next day when we were switching back, Sorella Gunnerson and Sorella McCann (the other sister training leader) came back down from Torino and we all made enchiladas together for lunch. We were running a little late for our train and it was POURING rain. I haven't seen rain like that in a long time.. Anyway. So we sprinted across Genova to the bus and then thorugh the train station. The train was miraculously a few minutes late so we just barely made it. We rode back up and headed straight for the baptism of a man named Jean-Luca. Jean-Luca is amazing. He just walked into a church building one sunday and said "Hey, teach me about what you believe!" So the Anziani jumped on the opportunity, taught him, and he was ready to be baptized within about a month. Here, it usually takes people months and years to be willing to get baptized. But Jean-Luca knew it was right, and he has such a powerful testimony! He asked Sorella Gunnerson and I to do a special musical number at his baptism. We did "Come Thou Fount". Sorella Gunnerson sang it in Italian and I played the piano for her. It was the first time I've ever accompanied someone, but it was really cool! It was a powerful experience and the spirit was felt very strongly by everyone in the room. It was awesome.

Today for P-day, we went to Collegno, which is in our zone. It's where Sorella Jackman and Sorella Condie live. They always come to our side on p-day so we went there today! We just hung out, practiced our flashmob for tomorrow, and they made us lunch. And no p-day is complete without Gelato. So even though it's rainy and wet and cold today... We had to get it! Totally worth it.

The work is moving forward here. It is difficult. But it is slowly progressing. I am so grateful to be here working and serving. I love these people so much and I feel so blessed to be here. The language is coming along. I've been doing most of the phone calls this week (senior comp week) and it's really really intimidating, but if I don't understand something, Sorella G just helps me figure it out. I've also had to learn how to read a map... It's been very entertaining for her this week watching me try to figure out how to get to places.

Anyway. I love you all.

Thank you for your support!

Sorella Tokarski