Wednesday was total immersion. Our first class was taught
entirely in Italian. My district and I all just looked at each other like,
"um what is she saying???" But it was awesome. Each class is taught
that way. It's super helpful. I had super bad stomach pains all day... Non
bene... But oh well! I survived. All of the new missionaries had the
opportunity to teach a few investigators as a group and it was a really special
experience. We all felt the spirit so strongly and it was a great first
day.
Thursday felt like a marathon. I've never studied so much in
my entire life. It's insane!! I've never heard so many languages before either,
except in Disneyland. (Also I apologize ahead of time. I'll probably have a
milion spelling errors. I'm typinga s fast as I can, And my mind is in italian
spelling mode.. So.. be warned.) But anyway. I know I"m supposed to be
here. I love my district a ton! Our teacher is awesome. She served her mission
in Rome and got back about a year and a half ago. She speaks beautifuly and is
so helpful.
On friday, my companion and I taught our first investigator
(he is a member, just acting like an investigator to give us good practice.)
Sorella Quinten and I are super different. We see things differently and want
to teach in completely different ways. I think we compliment each other well as
companions because we both can learn a lot from each other. She is super cute
and so nice. Our "investigators" name is Simone. He speaks beautiful
Italian. He also pretends that he doesn't know english so we have to do our
best to understand and speak the language. It was so intimidating during that
first lesson. But we did our best to teach with the spirit and we asked God for
help. I feel like I am progressing in the language a lot faster and a lot more
than I thought I would or could only 5 days into it. I know that God is
answering my prayers and is helping me. I am just so in love with being a missionary
and everything that I get to do here.
I need more endurance now than I ever have before in
my life. We are either studying, learning, teaching, praying, eating, or
sleeping. And the eating and sleeping don't last for very long. hahah. It's a
very very rigorous schedule. I'm exhausted, but I have been richly blessed by
feeling the power of God in my life and feeling the spirit every single moment
I've been here.
I haven't gotten any mail yet, and everyone else in my
district has...
MOM AND DAD; PLEASE ask Brynn about Dear Elder. It's
awesome.
Sorella Quinton and I taught Simone again on Saturday and it
went super good!! We spoke and understood so much more than we did the day
before.
Meal times are super fun because we sit with our district
and the other people going to Italy. Our district leader is Anziano Diego. He's
hilarious, has a strong testimony, and is a really good leader. His companion
is Anziano Sorrdes, he's from france and has a thick accent. He's super tall
and skinny and has really big glasses. We always ask him to say things with un
accente americana. He attempts, and it's always a good laugh. Sorella Lawrence
and Sorella Johnson are the other two sisters in our district. lawrence is
insanely sweet, kind, and weirdly reminds me of aunt jojo. Sorella Johnson is
super athletic and has really big eyes and has a great sense of humor. She's so
fun to be around. Sorella Quinton and I share a room with them. Sorella Q is
tall, skinny, has short blonde hair, and is super sweet. I'm so grateful that
she is my companion.
I have never had to rely on my savior more than I do right
now. This is hard. But it is also incredibly rewarding. I know I"m
supposed to be here, and I know that this is waht God wants me to be doing
right now. This experience is like nothing I've ever done before... But it's so
amazing. The days take forever here, but the week has gone by super fast.
Sunday was incredible. I was so spiritually fed. I recieved
so much personal revelation as to how to be a better missionary, how to be a
better companion, and how I can be a better family member and future wife. I am
so grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ. My testimony of its truth has grown
and been strengthened so much in the past five days.
I think the best thing I learned this week is that this
mission is not about me. It's not for me. It's not my time. This mission is for
my God and for my Savior Jesus Christ. I want to serve them with all my heart,
might, mind and strength. I am out here for them and to glorify their names. I
am out here to be a tool in their hands to bring their gospel to the people of
Italy. I love you all. Thank you for your support and kindness. It means so
much to me.
MOM and DAD- you're amazing. Thank you so much for your
examples to me of how to live a righteous life and how to love others.
Quinten- I love you so much. I fully support you in your
desires to finish high school and become a successful person.
Nicholas- You're amazing.... I love you. Continue to be a
good example to the family.
Kelly- I love you sweet girl. Stay strong right now. I care
about you and can't wait to hear from you soon!
I pray for all of you every day. I love you guys.
Until next week,
Sorella Tokarski