Tuesday, July 7, 2015

l'ultima settimana

Wow. This moment is kind of unreal. I can't really believe that it's my last pday. To say that it has flown by would be untrue and oh so clichè. It has more than flown by. I barely even blinked and here I am. 

Anyway- Before I get to all of the mushy gushy end of mission feels, let's talk about this week. 

It's been about 100 degrees and 99,000% humidity the last two weeks. It's so hot that we take cold showers at night and run and jump in bed soaking wet with a fan blowing on us. That lasts about 5 minutes and then we're dry again. It's so hot that your shoes sink into the pavement because it's just tar or something like that. We spend all day every day soaking wet in sweat. Air conditioning doesn't exist. Anywhere. The air in the house is so hot and stuffy that our fans just blow hot air. It's unlike anything I've ever experienced. It is so deliriously hot. (prepare yourselves fam... wear all white, and the least amount of clothing possible while still being modest) It's great though. We just walk around laughing all day because we can't even believe how hot it is.

We have been just kind of saying goodbyes all week which is hard. Most of my pictures from this week consist of me being red in the face and puffy in the eyes and lots of hugs. It's great though because when people ask if I'm okay I can say, "oh yeah I'm fine, it's just so hot that I'm sweating from my eyes!" Seems to be working well so far. 

Chris got baptized on Saturday and it was AMAZING!!! It went so well. The spirit was so strong and it was the perfect way to spend my last weekend in the mission. His whole family came to support him and it was just a beautiful experience. 

Okay. Now for all the feels and miracles and things I've learned. 

Man. The mission has taught me so much. As I reflect on all that I have learned and how much I have changed, I am filled with gratitude and my eyes just get kind of misty. Of the many lessons I've learned, one of the most important has been to recognize the promptings of the spirit and to follow them immediately. I have seen MIRACLES from following that simple but extremely important process. 

For example, a woman came to church one sunday, and I didn't recognize her. The spirit said, "GO TALK TO HER NOW". I did as directed, and 4 weeks later, Yovana was baptized. 

Another example. I was on the metro and saw a young filipino man just sitting there. I felt prompted to talk to him. I did. We exchanged numbers and I got his address and set a return appointment. After trying to find his home and failing, calling his phone that was broken, and saying a lot of prayers, we felt we had lost him. About a month later, I felt again prompted to speak with a filipina woman on the metro. I did. It turns out that she was a less active member whose records had never been transferred. We set a return appointment. I was shocked to see that her address was the same as the boy from a month earlier. IT WAS HIS MOM. After clarifying how to arrive at her house, we were finally able to meet the sarmiento family. During our first meeting with them, we found out that her 14 year old son (different than the first one from the metro) had a lot of questions and was really interested. Chris was baptized this weekend and the Elders will begin to work with his older brother (metro boy) and their father. 

Another example. A former investigator that I had been teaching when I first got to Milano started to come to church again. It was kind of a brutal ending. She got up and walked out of a lesson one day and we didn't hera from her again. So when she showed up again in church 4 months later, I was more than just a little bit surprised. After about a month of her coming each week, I felt I needed to do more than just greet and welcome her. I asked her why she had come back and if we could do anything at all to help her. She looked me in the eyes and said that she felt she was ready to be baptized. Two weeks later, she was! 

I could go on for days and days about cool experiences and miracles like that. But those are the three that stuck out the most to me. Following the promptings of the spirit immediately literally brings salvation. 

I have learned the importance of putting others before myself. I have learned to hold my tongue. It doesn't matter if I think I'm right, or if I want to say something. It DOESN'T matter. The mission has been by far the most humbling event to have ever taken place in my life. 

My patience has been tested. My faith has been pushed. My heart has been broken multiple times. I have felt the most joy I've ever known: I've felt the deepest sorrow. I have come to know my Savior Jesus Christ. I have preached of him. I have worn his name over my heart these last 18 months, and even though the tag is about to go away, his name won't. I took it upon me when I stepped into the waters of baptism and I will continue to bear it every single day of my life. I have done my best to represent him and to invite others to come unto him. I only hope and pray that I have represented him well and that I have made him proud. 

My heart breaks to know that I have to leave these people. I have tried to give them all that I have to give. I have absolutely given them my whole heart. I have served them and loved them. Listened to them. Prayed for them. Prayed with them. Cried for them. Cried with them. I have tried to comfort and bear their burdens. I have sought out and received guidance from the spirit and revelation as to how to help them, and to know what they needed to hear and feel. I have laughed with them. Eaten SO MUCH with them. I've made endless treats and goodies. I go to bed at night thinking of them and wake up thanking Heavenly Father for them. I have watched people here CHANGE their lives. I have watched them fall, and I have watched them get back up again by taking Christ's outstretched hand. My words can't even describe accurately what I feel and how much I love these people here in Italy. They will forever be a part of my family and they will always have such a special place in my heart. I wish I could stay with them longer, and continue to watch them progress and move forward. I have never experienced so much true love and happiness than I have here. 

I am eternally grateful to God that this was his plan for me. As much as there were people here who needed me, I needed them. I needed this mission. I have been forever changed. It has given me a solid foundation on the which I can build a marriage and an eternal family. 

I have learned of the necessity to read and pray daily. 3 hours of church really isn't that long and there is so much to be taken and gained from those few brief hours in the week. I have learned so much from each of my 10 companions. I have learned the importance of speaking kind words often, especially in a companionship. I have learned of the importance of giving my will to God. No matter how hard I plan or want to do something my way, God's will will ALWAYS be done in one way or another. Punto basta. I am constantly striving to understand His will and then accept it, and then do it. I have learned that repentance isn't just for "the big sins" but also for all of the little stupid ones. I have a much greater appreciation for the atonement and the sacrament. I feel the difference it makes in my life to renew my covenants with God each week. I have a much greater perspective and vision of our purpose here and the end goal. The end goal isn't get married, graduate from college, have 9 kids, 50 grandkids, drive nice cars, take cool vacations, see the world... The end goal is eternal life with those that we love and with our Heavenly Father and Savior Jesus Christ. Everything that we do should be centered around that end goal. All the other things we can do are great and fun and wonderful. But nothing matters as much as returning home to our loving Father in Heaven.  

I know that God lives. I know that He loves His children. I have been blessed to feel a portion of that love for those people that I have served and that I have served with. I will never stop doing this work. Bringing souls unto Christ is not just the job of the full time missionaries. That's the biggest scam of all time. ANY MEMBER OF THE CHURCH HAS THE GOD GIVEN CALLING TO INVITE OTHERS TO COME UNTO JESUS CHRIST. We are his representatives. Anyone who has been baptized IS a full time missionary. You may not wear a tag or be set apart. But your covenants are real. And you made your choice to take upon you his name and serve him. Do it.

I am so grateful for all that I have learned. And I could continue to go on. But I know I also have to give a homecoming talk and I'll have plenty of other opportunities to share what I've learned with those I love. 

Thank you for your love and support. Thank you for your prayers. 

I love you all. 

See you soon. 

Love, 

Sorella Tokarski