Monday, February 10, 2014

Fifth Week in MTC

Well, it has been a good week! My time here at the MTC is coming to a close and I have bitter sweet feelings. The MTC has been a place of learning, growth, incredible difficulty, fantastic memories made, and amazing people. 

Temple walk 2 weeks ago. Our swedish sister left last monday!! So proud of her. She's the blonde one in the middle. We had some martinellis to celebrate her departure into the field!

I will really miss singing in the choir here. We sing such beautiful music each week, and singing it with a choir of about 500 or more missionaries is a unique experience. This coming week we will be singing "Praise to the Man" for the Sunday night devotional, and Elder Jeffry R. Holland's son will be coming to speak to us. He is the president of UVU. I almost think that Jeffry R. Holland might be there too because our choir director kept saying "Now we all have to do our best... you're in for a real treat, and I can't tell you everything... But just please practice your very best" So I'm really excited to sing that song. I get goosebumps every time I hear that song, let alone singing it with 500 other missionaries that are going out into the world to teach about the restoration of the gospel and share testimony of the Prophet Joseph Smith. I'm just so excited. I have such love and respect for Joseph Smith and I am honored to be able to sing that glorious hymn.
The language has been a real struggle for me. I am having a really hard time with all of the grammar. This week it felt like learning math for me...... And everyone knows how much I love math. Prayers to help me learn the language would be much appreciated. 

We study so much every single day. By friday and saturday nights, we just want to hang out with each other. This past saturday night, the other sisters in my district/ roommates and I decided to have a massage train and the person in the front had to read out of the Book Of Mormon in Italian and after 5 verses, we would try to explain what was said, and then we would switch positions. It was pretty great. 

I also got sick this week, so I literally spent 10 hours on friday asleep. Not very productive... But I'm feeling a little better now. We got our flight plans too! It made everything so real... I can't believe we are flying out of here in 7 days... It makes me want to pass out... But I'm so excited. 

Basically what I learned this week is that it's okay to have weaknesses. We all have them. Not a single one of us is perfect, and we all need to be okay with admitting that. Weaknesses are given to us so that we can more fully turn to Christ and use his atonement to turn those weaknesses into strengths. I love the opportunity that I have every single day to become better and to ask my Savior for help. I know that he desires to help me and as I continue to ask for that help, he never fails to give it to me. 

I also have gained a greater love for the Book of Mormon. I have never read it so earnestly and fervently before. I have felt tremendous strength and power come into my life through reading from it's pages. I testify that it is true, and that whoever reads it with a humble and open heart WILL KNOW of it's truthfulness and will be brought closer to Jesus Christ and Heavenly Father. The Book of Mormon is a literal testament of Christ and of his teachings. I know that it is true. I have asked, and continue to ask God to know of a surety that it is. Each time I do, I feel a calm and peaceful reassurance in my heart and mind that it is. No bad man could write it. No GOOD man could write it. It is not something that someone could ever make up. When Elder Bednar came to speak to us he said, "I'd give someone 100 years, and they could not produce a single page of the Book of Mormon.." I know that to be true. I love the Book of Mormon, and I love the spirit that I feel as I read it. 

I am grateful to be a missionary. I have learned a lot about myself. I continue to learn a lot about myself and about the plan that God has for me and all of His children. I am so grateful for the gospel. I am so grateful for my Savior Jesus Christ and the help and strength that he gives me every single day. I don't get to have a lovey hug from my dad or mom, I don't get to go for late night t-bell runs with Quinten, Jesse, Nick, or Kelly, I don't get to spend time with Josh, but what I do get is to have the spirit with me every single day, and I do get to have my elder brother and friend, Jesus Christ comfort me and help me through my trials, I do get to have my loving Heavenly Father send me inspiration and personal revelation every single day, and for me, that is more than enough right now. I have been so blessed by being a missionary thus far. This is truly God's work and I am so grateful that I get to be a tool and instrument in His hands to bring His children back to Him. 

We have 7 days left here at the MTC! That last pic was taken today. We are all so excited to be heading out. But I'm also incredibly nervous at the same time. I don't feel ready at all. But I know that I'll have my elder brother Jesus Christ with me, and I know that my Heavenly Father will not let me fail as long as I strive to do His will with all my heart. 

I love you all. 
Thank you for your continued support.

love, 
Sorella Tokarski